It is a surgical procedure which helps to remove loose skin and stretch marks. At the same time it helps to tighten the abdominal fascia and muscles thus refining the contour of the abdomen giving a flatter stomach and more defined waist line. However, it leaves a permanent scar at the supra-pubic level extending from one hip to another.
This procedure helps eliminate the stubborn fat that doesn’t respond to diet and exercise. Types:
- Standard tummy tuck: In this method, the excess skin and fat from below the umbilicus or belly button is removed. It also helps in tightening the rectus muscles and pulling the remaining skin from the upper abdomen down. The belly button will be surgically re-positioned.
- Extended tummy tuck: It is recommended when the saggy skin and bulges extend beyond the abdomen to the hips or back. The incision extends to the back also. Tightening of rectus muscles and naval repositioning are routinely done.
- Mini tummy tuck: Excess skin and fat are removed from below the naval and weakened rectus muscles are tightened. In this method, belly button is not moved surgically.
- Endoscopic tummy tuck: This procedure is not performed routinely because the excess skin and fat cannot be removed; only rectus sheath can be tightened.
- Convenience: The patient can reach home after few hours post procedure.
A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures like thigh lift, buttock lift and total body lift; it can also be combined with abdomen, hips, thighs or buttocks. It can also be combined with Hysterectomy (if necessary)
Total Body lift:
It can be done for cases who lost their weight extensively (bariatric surgeries) leading to sagging of the skin on the back, buttock and hips. In this procedure, the Supra-pubic incision extends almost around the abdomen encircling it.
Routinely abdominoplasty is combined with liposuction of the relevant areas with excellent sculpturing of the body.