Hair transplantation is a simple & superficial procedure that involves extracting live root bearing hair follicles from the donor area (back & sides of the head) and implanting them on to the recipient area (bald area). These transplanted hair roots behave and grow similarly to the hair from where they are extracted.
After re-growth, these transplanted hairs can be managed just like natural, existing hair. They can be shampooed or dyed and doesn't require any medicines to maintain growth. Even after complete shaving or tonsuring, these hairs will grow back and continue to do so for the rest of the life.
It is primarily aimed to treat baldness in both men and women. It is also used to restore eyebrows, eyelashes and beard and to fill the scars caused by accidents and surgeries like facelifts etc..
As the hair follicles grow in groups of 1 to 4, today's most advanced techniques help in transplanting these groups of follicles also called as Follicular Units (grafts) thus achieving almost natural looking
results. Latest techniques like:
Ultra Refined Follicular Grafting (URFUG)
Mega & Super Mega Sessions
help create almost natural looking and undetectable transplants.
The donor hair can be harvested in 2 methods.
The process of removing a strip of hair bearing scalp from the back and sides of the head (donor area) and dissecting the strip into ultra refined follicular units which are then transplanted onto the bald area (recipient area) is called as Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT).
As the follicular units are harvested from a strip, this method is commonly called as Strip MethodŁ. This method can leave a scar on the donor area which can be concealed under the patients own hair on the day of the surgery itself. But due to the recent advancements in this field of hair transplantation, the scar can be minimized by using a technique called trichophytic closure. This method helps in minimizing the scar which is almost invisible after few months and even new hair growth is seen through the scar in most of the patients.
The advantages of this method are:
- Wider bald area can be covered even in a single session.
- Dense packing is possible giving a more natural looking appearance.
- Less expensive
- Higher survival rate of the grafts
- Very minimal / negligible graft wastage (transection)
- Quick recovery time.
- More team is required for performing this method.
- Scar at the donor site but, can be minimized by trichophytic closureŁ.
Also commonly called as Suture less technique, in this method, individual follicular units are extracted by using tiny punches of between 0.6 mm and 1.25 mm in diameter. These follicular units are then transplanted on to the bald area using micro-blades and fine needles. This method is also called as blind techniqueŁ and the wastage of follicles is more. This method may also leave very tiny pointed dot like scars giving a mottled appearance at the donor site but unfortunately being claimed as Scar less surgery.
- Suture less surgery.
- No tissue damage.
- Doesn't require a large team to perform.
- Possibility of transplanting body hair
- Only method available for restoration of hair on burnt patches, eye brows and moustache.
- More graft wastage (>30%)
- May result in mottled like appearance.
- Require more no. of sessions when compared to FUT to cover an identical bald area.
- Very expensive when compared to FUT.
- Demands more concentration and time from the surgeon / doctor.
- Not ideal for covering wider areas.
Who should consider this procedure?
- Patients who like to keep their hair short (<2 mm)
- Patients who require eyebrow transplants where single hair grafts are needed for better aesthetic outcome.
- Patients who require their scars to be repaired which occurred due to their previous transplantation surgery.
- Some patients simply refuse to have a scar on the donor site and hence don't prefer FUT.
- Although the above specialized procedures help in delivering almost natural looking result both in
- Density and orientation, there are certain limitations one should focus
- Need to be realistic about the outcome of the surgery.
- Consider the help of other treatment options like Finasteride & Minoxidil
- Should analyze every technique used to improve the survival rate of the grafts.
- Prudent and wise usage of the donor hair as it is very limited..